The European Association of Science Editors (EASE) is an international community of individuals and associations from diverse backgrounds, linguistic traditions and professional experience in science communication and editing.

Peer Review Group

How many reviewers to invite?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Pippa Smart 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Pippa Smart
    Participant

The EASE discussion list had a great conversation about inviting lots of (=too many) reviewers because so few actually respond/agree to review. But this creates a lot of invitations and so a lot of people saying “no” more often because they feel bombarded with invitations. What do you think? What does your journal do?

Ana Marusic
    Participant

Difficult question. Depends on the topic and the knowledge of the field by the editors. I don’t think there is a best way to address this problem. Summer months may be very difficult for editors.

Pippa Smart
    Participant

I can’t help thinking that asking lots of people clutters their email and increases the likelihood of refusals. However, I appreciate that only asking 2 at a time (assuming you need 2 reports) can lead to long delays as people say “no” and you have to move onto the next person.
    On balance I would only condone asking, say, 1.5x the number of reports you need (e.g. Asking 3 if you need 2, etc.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.